How to fix fortnite game chat - Fortnite includes in-game video chat and voice chat powered by Epic's Houseparty app. You can use Fortnite in-game video chat on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PC, with other platforms on the way. To use this feature, you need a PlayStation or PC to run Fortnite, and a phone or tablet to run the Houseparty app.
How To use video chat in Fortnite
If you play Fortnite on a PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, or PC, and have a phone or tablet that can run the Houseparty app, you will be able to use video chat within the Fortnite game.
Also Read: Best controller setup for Fortnite Season 8
How to configure video chat in fortnite:
- Install and open the Houseparty app on your phone or tablet.
- Tap Sign up.
- Enter your details, tap Next, and finish creating a Houseparty account.
- Launch Fortnite on your PC or PlayStation, and open the menu by clicking the menu icon (PC) or pressing the options button on your controller (PlayStation).
- Select Settings.
- Navigate to the Sound tab (speaker icon).
- In the Voice Chat section, make sure Voice Chat is on, Voice Channel is set to Party, and Houseparty Video Chat Integration is on.
- If parental controls are on, make sure Houseparty Video Chat in Fortnite is set to On.
- Back in the Houseparty app on your iOS or Android device, tap Connect Fortnite.
- Tap Accept.
- Press Sign in with Epic games.
- Enter your Epic Games details and press Sign in now.
- Press Allow.
- Press Camera and microphone, and press Next.
- Tap the TV icon.
- Position your phone so that the camera is pointing at your face.
- Tap the F slider in the Fortnite mode drop-down menu.
- Tap the hand icon, and Invite your friends to the party or to join your party. If they are also using Houseparty, you will see their faces on the left side of your screen while they are partying in Fortnite.
How does video chat work in Fortnite game?
Both Fortnite voice chat and in-game video chat use Epic's Houseparty app to enable cross-platform chat. That's why you have to sign up for Houseparty and link it to your Epic account. The advantage is that it allows you to video chat with your friends from Epic Games in Fortnite regardless of whether you or they are playing on PC or PlayStation. Friends on unsupported platforms cannot video chat with you in-game, but they can join on their phone with the Houseparty app.
When you set up the Houseparty app and connect it to Fortnite, your phone sends live video of your face to Houseparty on your friends' phones, which forwards the video to Fortnite on their PC or PlayStation. The same is true in reverse, as the video of their faces is sent to your Houseparty app, and then to Fortnite on your PC or PlayStation.
For this whole process to work, you have to have the Fortnite parental control disabled, or enable Houseparty video chat in the parental control. Parents can rest assured that Houseparty has some built-in security features, like allowing your kids to only video chat with their friends, and preventing the people they chat with from seeing your child's surroundings. If the app doesn't detect your face for any reason, such as if you get up or walk away, the entire stream is replaced by a colored background.
Also Read: How To Crouch In Fortnite PC, Learn All Fortnite Controls
How To control chat in Fortnite game
Although in-game Fortnite video chat allows you to see your friends on the side of the screen while playing the game, you control it through the Houseparty app on your phone. The app shows the same video streams from your friends that you watch in-game, and provides some useful options.
By default, strangers cannot enter your video chat or view your video. Your Houseparty friends, who by default are just your Fortnite friends, can join in, as can their friends. No one else can enter.
If you only want to chat with your friends, or even with one or two specific friends, you can also block your video chat to prevent others from joining. To do this, just touch the lock icon at the bottom of the Houseparty screen while in a video chat.
You can also block people who have already joined that chat, which deactivates their video and prevents them from watching your video. If a friend of one of your friends joined and is causing trouble, this is a useful feature. Just tap the person's face in the Houseparty app, and tap Block.
Also Read: Fnadder.com Get Free Vbucks fortnite with Fnadder